Although the A’s got knocked out of the playoffs, we still have a reason to celebrate in Oakland. Five bills that we supported along with our PICO California sister organizations all got signed by Governor Jerry Brown.
The bills were:
- AB 60, which allows aspiring Americans to apply for driver’s licenses
- AB 4, the Trust Act, which limits the state’s cooperation with federal immigration authorities
- AB 218, the Ban the Box bill, which prevents state employers from asking about a conviction history on an initial job application
- SB 683, which requires all gun buyers to take a firearm safety class and earn a safety certificate
- AB 48, which bans magazine repair kits
The first three bills were sponsored by PICO California, and PICO California and its affiliates (including us) co-sponsored the others.